Southland Hills Improvement Association
dogwood
News - Updates
NewsUpdatesCrime LogClassifiedsEventsCommunity AssociationCommunity ProjectsAbout Southland HillsResident ResourcesCommunications Center

SHIA Newsletter

September - October 2011

Read the latest newsletter. Download PDF

April - May 2011

Download PDF

February - March 2011

Download PDF

November - December 2010

Download PDF

September - October 2010

Download PDF

April - May 2010

Download PDF

February- March 2010

Download PDF

December 2009 - January 2010

Download PDF

October - November 2009

Download PDF

SHIA Board and Commitees

If you are interested in joining a neighborhood committee, we need you! There are several opportunities available, depending on the amount of time you have. It’s a great way to meet your neighbors and help continue to make our neighborhood a great place to live. Several SHIA Board positions will be open in June- get involved! Contact us at @ gmail.com

Do You Have a CO Detector?

At some point over the past few years, I must have purchased a Carbon Monoxide (CO) detector, stuck a battery in it and forgot all about it. In January, my daughter had a few friends for a sleep over in the basement. Around midnight they heard an annoying beep. I traced the sound to the CO detector hanging near the furnace room. I assumed the detector just needed a new battery which I replaced then hung it back on the wall. Problem solved!

After ten minutes, the beeping started again so I moved everyone upstairs and called the fire department's non-emergency line to ask for advice. The fire department came, tested for CO and found very high readings of CO coming from my water heater. They stayed over an hour to air out the basement and shut down the gas going to the water heater. They told me that had the kids slept in the basement over night there could have been dire consequences in the morning. The next morning BGE arrived and repaired the problem. Water heaters, furnaces, and all flame burning appliances can cause toxic levels of CO gas to build up in a home if they are not vented properly. A chimney can become blocked at any time which forces the CO to vent into the house.

Thanks to a small detector costing about $35, lives were saved! Every home should have a CO detector and a growing number of states are requiring them. CO is an odorless, colorless gas which kills over 600 people a year. More information can be found at www.bge.com and click on 'Energy Safety.'

If you have any urgent matters or news pertaining to our neighborhood that you would like to have posted on the Web site, contact us at @ gmail.com

The Towson YMCA Modernization Plan

On Monday, January 12,2008 the YMCA held an informal meeting with a number of residents whose homes immediately surround the Y to discuss the plans for re-development of the Towson YMCA. The CEO of Central Maryland YMCA spoke about the focus to “modernize the Y”. It was revealed that the property around the YMCA, as well as the building itself, will be significantly improved through a capital campaign and a partnership with Baltimore County. Baltimore County, specifically the Department of Parks and Recreation, will purchase part of the land surrounding the YMCA. A field will be built for joint use between the YMCA and the Rec Department. The current building will be replaced with a new, 45,000 sq ft. modern and “green” facility. The site of the old building will be replaced by green space. Significant storm water management, brought to current requirements, is planned for the entire site. Several more meetings are being scheduled to discuss neighborhood concerns. The SHIA Board is currently working to have a representative of the Y attend the next meeting. Information will be made available. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Nicole Nesbitt at 410-377-9427.

House Numbers and Your Safety

Check your house numbers, especially residents of Dixie Drive, where the numbers are out of order! A resident of Southland Hills was recently informed by the Fire Department that her house number was difficult to locate. Make sure that your house number is visible from the street, and well lit.

Projects